Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Caramel Corn

One of my fall standards is Caramel Corn. I make it frequently...sometimes a batch for Friday night game weekend company and after my husband gets in from pre-game, and then another batch for tailgating or after the game on Saturday.  This is my grandmother's recipe that she used at her own version of a tailgate.  Every July, she would make Caramel Corn and put it into a brown paper grocery bag to transport into our box seats at the horse races.  Caramel Corn and lemonade hit up with some vodka reminds me of that fun memory!  

Here is my faithful Caramel Corn recipe.  Wanted to share it with you so that you can use it for the holidays...

beautiful photo by peppercorn press.com

Mama's Caramel Corn

1 cup brown sugar
2 sticks butter
1 t. salt
1/2 c. corn syrup
1 t. maple syrup
1 t. vanilla

Melt the above, stirring constantly.  As soon as it comes up to a boil, remove from the heat and add 1 teaspoon baking soda.  

Pour over about 8 cups of popped popcorn in a roasting pan and stir thoroughly.  Bake at 250 for 10 minutes at a time, ending at 40 minutes.